On October 11th, 2019, Expert Petroleum (XP) published its 2nd Sustainability Report, for the operations conducted in 2018 in Romania.
Our Sustainability Report is developed in line with the Global Reporting Initiative Standards (Core option), also taking into consideration the feedback received from our stakeholders and general reporting best practices.
„Making mature oil and gas fields more sustainable is our core business, therefore we aim to implement the best practices and use innovative and cutting-edge technologies to raise the sustainability bar higher in our business sector. This 2nd Sustainability Report is another step in that direction”, said David Martinon, CEO.
What are the highlights of our 2018 Sustainability Report?
- Supply Chain Management (SCM): For both of our operation sites, the local expenditures for goods and services in 2018 amounted over $26.8 mm compared with $25 mm in 2017. During 2018 we have cooperated with 345 suppliers all over Romania. (336 local suppliers in 2017)
- Partnerships and involvement: XP has strived to be part of organizations representing the business community, as key tools to deliver on its sustainability ambitions; we are involved in the management of the most representative associations in the Romanian upstream sector (i.e. ROPEPCA, Petroleum Club, SIPG, SPE, AAPG, SEG).
- Environmental performance: Zero environmental non-compliance cases.
- Energy intensity: Overall, our Energy Consumption has Increased in 2018 by 2% compared to 2017 but our Energy Intensity (amount of Energy consumed/ Amount produced) was reduced by 11% to reach 11.79% as our overall production increased in 2018. Our ambition for 2019 is to continue to reduce our Energy Intensity by another 5% compared to 2018.
- Water management: Our freshwater consumption has decreased by 29% in 2018 compared with 2017. The overall freshwater intensity has been reduced by 28% from 1.55m3/toe in 2017 , to 1.12 m3/toe in 2018.
- Safety practices: Zero unplanned or uncontrolled releases of any material, including non-toxic and non-flammable materials. We also implemented 4 awareness campaigns to support our efforts of maintaining a clean record for safety incidents: “Stop Work”, “Risk Evaluation”, “Reporting and monitoring incidents and accidents”, “Expert and contractors”. In 2018 we registered 61 cases of “stop work”, compared with a total of 94 cases in 2017.